Thursday, December 26, 2013

How to Learn to Love Your Job

The Wall Street Journal
 

December 18, 2013, 12:00 PM ET
ByRichard Sheridan
Dax Shepard (left) and Adam Braverman in ‘Parenthood’
NBC
Joy is not typically a word associated with business and work. Yet joy is the foundation of not only why I enjoy my work, but why the company I’ve help build is successful and growing.
My own career journey took me from joy to fear and back to joy again. I fell in love with writing software as a kid and pursued that path with great energy and determination. However, in the early days of my career, I found myself taking the longest drives to work I could, because I didn’t want to get there. I didn’t want to be in the industry anymore. I had arrived at disillusionment.
Getting back to joy was a long pursuit. I had to change everything around me to find that first happiness again. Part of that journey involved understanding what brought me joy, in the context of my job and company, and what brought fear.
Just as there are teachers who simply go through the motions and drag us through the material in order to complete a required course, there are companies and jobs and bosses that do the same. That doesn’t mean you have to live with it.  Avoid those fear-run workplaces. Quit those jobs. Ask your friends about where they work, or about companies they’ve read about or heard about where passion, excitement, and human energy are valued above all else. In those places, you will find that fear is not primary motivator for getting to results.
Although I’ve found that most organizations do not focus on their culture and end up with what I call a “default culture,” there are also a significant number of companies who are quite explicit about what they are trying to achieve. Those companies have a mission and a purpose in what they do. The people who work there are focused not on themselves, but on those they serve. They are working on something much bigger than themselves. I learned to love my job and my work by connecting it to joy: joy for our customers, joy for the end users of our products, joy for my team, and personal joy in what we were doing.
Many believe this kind of mission focus can only occur in the non-profit world. This couldn’t be further from the truth. There are successful purpose-driven private and public corporations, large and small. They are still rare, though, so it won’t necessarily be easy to find them, but it is worth your time to pursue this search. Some of you will be inclined to do what I ultimately did and start your own firm, with its own mission and purpose.
Entrepreneurship for me was the enabler of a noble yet selfish pursuit: I wanted to create a company that I loved. I created my own fulfilling job, but it would only be fulfilling to me if it were also rewarding for those who worked around me.
To learn to love your job, it’s important to find a job where learning is a requirement to success. Learning engenders joy, regardless of the industry you’re in. Become a student again. Read books, study organizations, and stretch yourself to try new things. If you are in a technical or a support role, volunteer for sales support assignments and watch how your company interacts with its customers. Sign up for trade show booth duty and learn what others in the world are seeking from firms like yours. Learn to present in front of others. Sign up to speak at conferences, and then go listen to other speakers. Find the ideas, the people and the companies that inspire you.
You must learn to listen to what makes your heart sing and track toward those things.  Never be afraid of hard work and know that loving your job doesn’t mean you will be happy every minute. Joy and happiness are not the same thing.
Joy is the feeling a fighter pilot gets when, after all the training and preparation, she lands an F-18 on the deck of an aircraft carrier in rough seas, strong winds, and low visibility. Once the engine is quiet and the chocks are placed, she knows that the aircraft, the carrier, the flight deck team, and she are all safe and sound—and she can’t wait to do it again.
We all want joy in our work lives, in our down time, in our kids’ schools, in our faith walks, in our families, and in our nation. Humans are wired to work on things bigger than ourselves, to be in community with one another. It’s why we join teams, companies, and then work very hard and long to achieve a difficult and elusive shared goal.
I wish that kind of joy at work for you.
Richard Sheridan is the author of “Joy, Inc.” (Portfolio) and the CEO of Menlo Innovations.

No comments:

Post a Comment